The Best Free Online Pokies for Australians
Free play is always good especially if you are new to a pokie and want to see if it suits your taste and style. We list the best and most popular free online pokies for Australians so they can click on the game and start playing immediately.
Types of Pokies Online
The following are the most common types of pokies online:
- Classic pokies. They have only 3 reels and a few pay-lines and some of the features they might come with are wild and/or scatter symbol and free spins. They are perfect for Aussies that long for the old days of vintage slot play.
- Video pokies. They are the most attractive ones. Video pokies have 5 reels and multiple pay-lines and come with many bonus features like wilds, scatters, win multipliers, bonus games, free spins etc. The reason for their attractiveness and popularity is because they are based on popular and recognizable themes and can be quite generous and award big prizes.
- Progressive jackpot pokies. These games can be either classic or video pokies but with an attached life-changing progressive jackpot. The jackpot pool can reach millions and if luck is on your side, it can change your life for good.
- 3D pokies. They are basically video slots but with amazing graphics in 3D that jump from the screen. These pokies are quite realistic and have nice animations and sound. They also come with many bankroll boasting bonus features.
How to Pick a Pokie to Play
If you want to play Australian-friendly pokies with real money, there are a couple of factors to consider:
- Payout percentage. Some casinos publish the payout percentage of their pokies so check this. This percentage refers to the amount the slot gives back to players for placing bets during its lifetime. Generous pokies are generally those that have payout percentages of 95% and above.
- Top prize. Check the top prize of the pokie before you invest your own AU dollars so you know whether you are playing a generous game. The top prize of progressive jackpot pokies is generally the biggest one.
- Secondary prizes. Besides a big top prize, slots also offer secondary prizes that can be generous as well. To find out more, look at the pay table of the pokie you want to play.
- Coin denomination. Pick a pokie suitable for your pocket money and try not to spend all you have on a few spins. The betting range and coin denomination is also important and should be suitable for your playing budget.
- Free spins. Once triggered, players get a number of free spins where they can win good prizes and rise up their bankroll. A slot with free spins is always good for playing.
- Bonus rounds. Some slots have just one bonus round, while others might have more or it can be multi-level based. The bonus round can be pick a box-style where your task is to choose from boxes that reveal cash prize, free spins or win multipliers. It can also come in from of gamble feature allowing you to double your riches. See below for our favorites.
Pokies with the Best Odds
The pokie games with the best odds are generally those that have high return to player rate (RTP). Online pokies have higher RTP than land based pokies and we recommend playing pokies with RTP rate of around 95%. This basically means that the slot has 5% house edge and, therefore, better odds. Pokies like Great Blue, Thunderstruck and Gonzo’s Quest are examples of good slots that have a house edge of around 8%.
Let’s say you put in 1 coin of AU$1 value in a pokie with 95 RTP. This means that the pokie gives 95 cents of that dollar back to players and keeps only 5 cents during its lifetime. However, the game doesn’t give the 95 cents back to one player but it is distributed to many players. This means that over trillions of spins, the machine will give you 95 cents, take 1.90 from two players, give 90 cents to another and so on.
Generally speaking, pokies with higher house edge are high volatility or high risk slots that give high payouts. In other words, by playing a high volatility pokie you can find yourself spinning the reels many times without any win. In this case, the 95 cents are stored up to create a bigger payout. But whether or not you will get the big payout is totally random and up to the RNG of the game.
Low volatility pokies are games that have low risk and low house edge, but generally give lower win amounts. They tent to pay out often, but the payouts are lower than those of the high risk slots. Therefore, at the end of the day, choosing a pokie is a matter of personal choice and only luck can help you scoop the big wins.